Hyperion Bank was founded in 2006 to support investment in Philadelphia’s evolving neighborhoods of Northern Liberties and the River Wards, including Fishtown, Kensington, Port Richmond and beyond. When we opened our doors at the corner of 2nd Street and Girard Avenue, we welcomed the real estate developers, restaurateurs, and creative entrepreneurs who were just beginning to envision new opportunities in an area that had been home to artisans, tradesmen, manufacturers and breweries since the early 19th century. As our first customers grew, we grew with them, and as more small businesses and new residents moved into these communities, they found quality banking services and personal service at Hyperion Bank.
Hyperion Bank continues to be a strong partner to the communities we serve. In 2011, we cheered with our customers when a new supermarket opened across the street from our office, because neighborhoods need basic services like groceries and banks to thrive. With support from Hyperion Bank, many new restaurants opened nearby over the years, making the area one of Philadelphia's favorite dining destinations, and earning Northern Liberties #14 on the Forbes.com 2012 list of the "20 Hippest Hipster Neighborhoods" in America. In May 2018 Forbes revisited Fishtown, featuring Hyperion Bank clients in a story that proclaimed "How Fishtown, Philadelphia Became America's Hottest New Neighborhood."
As community builders, we proudly listen to our diverse customers and work to fulfill their dreams. In September 2018, Hyperion Bank completed a very successful $18.3 million recapitalization, enabling us to expand our banking and lending services throughout the greater Philadelphia region, up to Bucks County and down the Jersey Shore. And in 2019, we opened our second location in Atlanta, Georgia, to bring our very personal service to customers in the greater Atlanta region and beyond.
The Hyperion Bank Building - an architectural landmark
Eighth National Bank
The beautiful Hyperion Bank building was built in 1871 by the Eighth National Bank, a Philadelphia-based institution incorporated in 1864 to finance industrial investment and serve the growing needs of the community.
In 1869 the Eighth National Bank commissioned architect Thomas S. Levy, who designed the Bank’s new building in the Italianate/Second Empire style. Distinguished by its red brick with contrasting limestone arches and sills, dressed stone entrances, and empire roof supported by carved wooden brackets, the original two bay-by-four bay building was an impressive neighborhood landmark.
As the Bank prospered, it expanded the building in 1906, commissioning architect A. Raymond Raff to nearly double the size, with new bays on both Girard Avenue and 2nd Street. In 1912 two more bays were added on 2nd Street, bringing the building to its present footprint containing 11,000 square feet.
Over the ensuing decades, the building changed hands and was repurposed numerous times. With each new use, successive alterations damaged the interior and exterior structures, compromising its historical integrity. But in 2006, the founders of Hyperion Bank recognized an opportunity to restore the once-grand landmark’s place in the community.
As the Hyperion Bank headquarters and Philadelphia banking office, our historic building is now continuing its original purpose, reinvesting in the community and bringing high quality banking services to businesses and residents. We look forward to serving you!